Saturday, November 9, 2013

Weight Loss Goals

I’ve read repeatedly that when losing weight it helps to have a picture in your mind of what your end result will look like as something to strive for. I’ve been fat for so long that it’s hard to imagine what my end result would look like. Within the past decade I was fat even at my thinnest. I know I’m not going to look like a fitspo picture (don’t even get me started on fitspo. That’s a whole other blog post.) I remember looking my best when I was 17, but that was 20 years ago. I don’t see that body ever happening again. I honestly don’t know what to hope for. And that’s what it is really, hope.

I can easily imagine the worst case scenario -- looking like a deflated sack of skin. I can’t as easily see what a healthy me looks like. I can’t even begin to guess what weight/size my end game is. According to weight charts, for my frame, I should weigh between 124-138. I’m not sure those numbers are even feasible for me. I mean, I want to be fit, but I also want to eat.

I guess the best approach is to take it in stages. Right now I’m a size 20 pushing into a 22. (All of my pants are super tight, but I told myself if I want new pants, they’re gonna be a size 18.) My next big goal is to get into a size 16. I know from experience that at a 16 I have enough of the fat off me that I begin to feel the fitness I’m working so hard to achieve. I might even get to start jogging again, just depends upon how much of my knee pain is current weight vs. permanent damage.

After I hit 16, I don’t know what the next big mile marker should be. I guess I’ll figure it out when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment